Tuesday 22 January 2013

Artist Statement


Artist Statement.

My artwork is my view and comment on issues I feel most important.

Life needs to be fed, as fire requires oxygen. We are now at a point where our consciousness allows us to understand through reason and logic such a large amount of information we may be able to change life’s destructiveness. Everyone knows of the many environmental issues facing the planet yet we so easily overlook them, perhaps doing a bit of recycling to ease our conscience.

My work is currently exploring energy usage and how we are partially unconscious to its existence. I would like to use this as a gateway into broader investigations into the effect energy has on our consciousness.

I would say our consciousness allows us to know these issues however I believe we actually know very little. I can rationally believe that lions and tigers exist yet I have never experienced one myself. I believe this to be the difference between knowing as we generally accept it and truly knowing something that you have experienced. This opens up a huge area for artists to explore and play with. Digital media is leading this change as it is largely due to the capability to share information so easily through print and now the Internet that has led to the rapid advancements in civilisation and our consciousness.

This is the first time my work has taken the form of 3D sculpture and I have learnt a lot from this new approach to my art. This work started with me trying to find ways to represent data in a new aesthetic format. They took the form of circular patterns I had been working on last year. These evolved into 3D versions. I intended to present the patterns as a way of comparing different sets of data to highlight certain issues but found by presenting them as part of a larger piece I am more able to communicate the message to the viewer. Consideration of positioning has been important to my work.

With our growing understanding of the world around us, science and consciousness are always pushing the boundaries of what we know. For anything to change there must be energy to make it happen. In the future I hope to capture energy by looking for materials that will in their use, create physical reactions. By presenting them in a way linked to our perception of them I hope to discover how energy affects us.

No comments:

Post a Comment